Thursday, April 23, 2009

I Think, Therefore I'm Beat!

coffee

sometimes
coffee
is divine
sometimes
coffee
is hot and dark
sometimes
dust
accumulates
and if i leave my coffee cup
too long on the window sill
fungus grows
who told fungus
to grow there, man
who's in charge, man

divinity
infinity
it's a long note to blow

What is that clicking sound? It's the sound of snapping fingers, the appropriate response to a well received Beatnik poem! Yesterday, April 22nd, was the last in our series of National Poetry Month celebrations at the library, and we celebrated BEATNIK POETRY.

dark

can't see my hand
in front of my face
can't see your hand
in front of your face
can't see the rat
lurking in the corner
ah, edison
make the scene
man


Who is this guy?

5 comments:

buffy said...

That's Gilligan! And he was on the Dobie Gillis Show- Maynard! Wasn't that his name?

Dobby Mauby said...

Maynard G. Krebs!! One of my early heroes!

Joanne Cage said...

I love your beat poems. I just couldn't get the hang of it.

Joanne Cage said...

To me, Maynard was one of those little magic folk, like Puck/Robin Goodfellow/Ariel--including John Lennon, Toulouse-Lautrec, Radar.

"...had a name like Billy, and was almost perfect,/ but wore a stammer like a decoration..."

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

It's always Maynard.