Wednesday, November 10, 2010

One Stop Poetry

I've just joined a new writing group, One Stop Poetry, and today is One Shot Wednesday! So, I'm posting one poem for Wednesday to share with everyone who visits my blog. This is a poem about awakening, growing, and recognizing one's position and orientation in the universe.


On Becoming One With Earth

My feet are planted in this lusty soil called life,
this pungent dirt which covered, nourished, then released me,
still forming, still growing, still becoming,
new and bitter and sweet.

Secrets have revealed themselves to me,
bit by bit, piece by piece, season by season,
as truth reveals itself in dreams and scattered visions.
Thus I am a knower of secrets, a product of dreams.

Eternity has made me.
I am a design wrought by intricacies of time.
I go from unknown to unknown
in a ceaseless gathering of knowledge.

Wisdom learns of me, finds me, leads me, ordains me, loves me.
My heart opens like a ripe seed,
splitting deep and red and wet,
spilling forth torrents of glistening fruit.

Returning again and again
to the rich and fertile ground,
I give, I bend, I grow.
Branches bend from me; forests grow from me.

My arms thrust upward from this luscious earth,
open handed, glad with life,
and my fingers touch God's gentle breath
upon the ancient ageless winds of dawn.

copyright Ramey Channell 2010

8 comments:

Brian Miller said...

what a wonderful picture of transformation...great imagery from going into the dirt to birth in a new life....thanks for joining us at one stop and sharing your words...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. A lot of strong images here!

dustus said...

Creates a sense of perceiving regeneration and possible interpretations, by design, based upon inference. Agree about the strong imagery.

Steve Isaak said...

Earthy-resonant work.

Bubba said...

In the end, we're all one with the earth. Delightful One Shot, Ramey!

Shashidhar Sharma said...

Dear Ramey

I enjoyed this one very much.. your words were beautiful ...
Thus I am a knower of secrets, a product of dreams.
Great!!

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Om Namah Shivaya
Twitter: @VerseEveryDay
Blog: http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com

Joanne Cage said...

Such a beautiful poem! I love it.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

People are going to read this and then read my turkey poem and think I'm adopted.